When do new-year licenses go on sale?

August 15. Most recreational hunting and fishing type license packages are valid from date of purchase in August (August 15 and later) through August 31 of the following year. Most commercial type licenses may be purchased starting August 15 of each year for the following year, but are not effective until September 1.

I'm a Texas resident in active military status, what license is available to me for hunting and/or fishing?
Item 510, Texas Resident Active Duty Military "Super Combo" Hunting and All-Water Fishing Package is available at no cost to Texas residents on active duty in the U.S. Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force, Coast Guard, Reserves, or National or State Guard. Proof of residency for this license is: military service record(s) indicating that the person's home of record is in Texas or that the person's duty station for the six months immediately prior to the time of application is in Texas.

What licenses are available to residents that are disabled veterans?
The free Resident Disabled Veteran "Super Combo" Hunting and All-Water Fishing Package is available at no cost to Texas residents qualifying as a disabled veteran. Disabled Veteran means a veteran with a service-connected disability, as defined by the Veterans Administration. Official proof of disability (issued by the VA) must be shown when applying for this license and must state the rate of disability.

I’m a senior, am I required to purchase a fishing license?
A Texas resident born before Sept. 1, 1930 is not required to obtain a fishing license.  Other Texas residents 65 years of age and older are required to obtain a fishing license.

I’m under the age of 16, what kind of hunting license do I need?
Any person under the age of 16, resident or non-resident needs to purchase a Youth Hunting License.  The non-resident youth license is available at the same price as a resident license.  Youth are not required to purchase additional stamp endorsements.

Is the non-resident 5-day and non-resident special hunting license valid for deer and turkey?
These two licenses are only for small game animals and birds.  

I’m not a resident, what license do I need to hunt deer?
Non Resident General Hunting license is the only license available.

How can I get a replacement license?
You may purchase a replacement license for a small fee (around $10).  Fill out a replacement license form at any of the approved license vendors to receive your replacement .

What is HIP Certification.
The Harvest Information Program is information provided to the Fish and Wildlife Service which helps in the management of migratory game birds.  The certification can be obtained from any license sales vendor in the state.

Where can I get a Sandhill Crane Permit?
A federal Sandhill Crane permit is only obtainable at Texas Parks and Wildlife law enforcement offices across the state and the headquarters in Austin.

Do I need to take A Hunters Safety Course?
If you were born after Sept. 2 1971 you are required take an approved hunters safety course. If you are ages 9 - 16 you must take a hunters safety course or be accompanied by a legal hunter who has completed a hunters safety course or exempt and within normal voice hearing distance.  If you are age 17 and older you must complete a hunters safety course or purchase a one time deferral permit which exempts you from the course until the end of that license year.  

I’m a non resident, do I still need to have completed a hunter safety course?
Yes, Texas recognizes all other state approved hunter safety courses.  You will need to carry proof of completion of the course while hunting. Or purchase a one time deferral permit. All other states recognize Texas approved courses as well.

I have a concelled carry license, do I need to take a Hunter Safety Course?

I’m active Military or a Law Enforcement officer, do I need to take a Hunter Safety Course?

Can I buy my hunting or fishing license online?
Yes you can. 

You Still haven't answered my question about.........
Please contact Texas Parks and Wildlife at (800) 792-1112 or (512) 389-4800, Monday - Friday between 8:00 am and 5:00 pm with your questions.